Cougar Paws - Steel Walker II- Sidebar Ad on MCS
ABC (American Building Components) - Sidebar Ad
McElroy Metals - Sidebar Ad - May 2022
MetalCoffeeShop
English
English
Español
Français

So How Do You Think We Can Solve The Labor Shortage?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

TomHay

:) I started reading on page 2.

Gonna be big problems. You have Goverment Presidentials yelling $15.00 an hour minumum wage. Sounds great. This means the Fry Bagger at McD's will start at $15, The guy at the Walgreens entrance for hello will start at $15.

This will mean low new guy roof trainee will start at $15.00. Now for $15 is he going to want to be inside A/C and heated or tearing off a roof? Next the guy who has 100 times more knowledge (started a week before) is going to want $20 and up the line we go. This is not counting WC, time and a half etc. You have to pass this on to the customer and sticker shock. Right off the bat I can say many roofers will be forced to cheat with illegals like we don't have that problem already.

Next comes your video gamers and Computer kids. We are having this effect in The Pool (Billiard) industry right now. Not exciting enough and I got to get off my azz to do it.

Specialty roofing might save it. Cut workers and speed production.

I don't think this thread is directed at the guys who are fighting a couple more years, retired or the Couple guy operation that does like copper (specialty).

Its about the say 30 year old business guy who wants to be legit, do quality work and build a very big company.

If the economy is GREAT and building is going 7/24/365 you have new construction jobs that with the ability to BOND could do it. You have to learn to play in that game and it gets heartless, you got 30 guys rocking and rolling, doing just as they were taught and economy goes to pot and 20 some of those 30 gotta go, if not all.

In Florida YEARS ago doing SPF when rain days or high wind days came the 1 Foam Mechanic per Truck would stay, work on the equipment. If a man was close to being a Foam Mechanic, he might get to stay.

Oh, than you have OSHA on a roofers back a LOT more than my day. A few guys get stupid and there is Mr OSHA, camera in hand handing out 5K fines per person violation.

Whats crazy is, I miss it. Take 20 to 30 years off me I would go specialty waterproofing. :)

March 12, 2019 at 1:17 p.m.

leakstopper

First of all I love my Hispanic crews! Haven't seen any other kind in years and they were old school dopers. We need a proper immigration system. American youth are fat, lazy and spoiled, just like second generation immigrants. We pay more than most professional jobs and I can't find any help!

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Commercial Distribution Specilaists
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Vicwest - Sidebar Ad - New Bellara Ad
New Tech Machinery - Sidebar Ad - Board & Batten
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Need a Metal Roof Solution?
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Cougar Paws - Steel Walker II- Sidebar Ad on MCS