English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Need a Metal Roof Solution?
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Xipre - Sidebar Ad - Transluscent Solutions
ABC (American Building Components) - Sidebar Ad
RPS - Sidebar Ad - Giveaway
MetalCoffeeShop
English
English
Español
Français

What do you do to recycle on the job?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

Roofsrus1

We save all aluminum, copper, lead, and any other metal goes to the dump alongside the debris of shingles, cut-up newer debris of shingles, felt, wrappers.>>>

March 19, 2009 at 4:21 p.m.

tinner666

EPDM, copper, lead and aluminum go to my shop and get recycled into other projects, from cleats, to bibs, to bullets, to lead anchors, to sinkers, to whatever use I find. I have friends who often want the salvage for their own projects.>>>

March 21, 2009 at 10:32 a.m.

HappyRoofer1

We been approached by two recyclers for shingles. What have roofers been paying to dump shingles, paper, nails to a recycler? Have to be careful when recycling so the owner or neighbors don't empty their shed and garage into the dumpster. I use to pay flat fee so I would tell the owner to fill er up if they wanted. Sometimes that in is self helped a sale. This would go to a licenced construction material land fill. Now we are into pay by the ton.

EPDM is recyclable if you cut it into managable pieces and resell for ponds or wood pile covers - what ever. Makes excellent slip sheets over a liveroof or paverroof.

PVC is not recyclable but can be used for slip sheets. Many of the PVC products can still be heat welded if they have not lost the flexiblility. PVC must be disposed of properly as it contains dioxins and other cancer causing agents. TPO is not much worried about presently cause it is to new. I understand there are systems in the works to recycle the plastic from the sheet.

Most insulations if not wet- but dirty still retain the base R values. Throwing insulation out is not good. If extruded polysytrene get soaked it will not dried out as easy as ISO. How everm both take a long time. I stuck 40 squares of Extruded Polystyrene in a ware house that was soaked. When dry could later resell it to some low end landlords. 5 years later it was still wet. I never save wet bead board cause it falls apart when soaked.

Once in a while I will advertise free insulation and set out odd sizes- mostly tapered boards for people to come and take. Hunting cabins and shacks for recreation are easily built with salvaged materials. >>>

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Grosso - Banner Ad - Dealers
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - Need a Metal Roof Solution?
Cougar Paws - Steel Walker II- Sidebar Ad on MCS
Sherwin-Williams & Grosso - MetalVue Sidebar - Make More with Metal
ABC (American Building Components) - Sidebar Ad
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
MBCI - Sidebar Ad - Quote Order Build