Metal Depots - Sidebar Ad
Cougar Paws - Steel Walker II- Sidebar Ad on MCS
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
MetalCoffeeShop
English
English
Español
Français

What is the most eco-friendly roof system?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

glassemulsion

I'm talking from the material mfg. To the finished product.

March 21, 2011 at 8:49 a.m.

kage

Thatch.. B)

March 21, 2011 at 9:15 a.m.

wywoody

Recycled tile or slate.

March 21, 2011 at 2:46 p.m.

glassemulsion

Sorry i ment ecofriendly flat roof. thanks

March 21, 2011 at 3:10 p.m.

WestcoatShane

A system that requires no tear off (no disposal), that is renewable and is biodegradable... I know where your headed. The chopped fiberglass emulsion system cannot be touched in this area. There are plenty of hacks and hope floaters but when done correctly no system in the world is better.

March 25, 2011 at 2:47 p.m.

ottawa_roofer

How's this for eco-friendly.

April 12, 2011 at 12:25 a.m.

glassemulsion

Emulsion is the most Eco-friendly roof I would say, but I was trying to see what other roofers thought and there point of view thanks for the post though Shane. Ottawa that is Eco-eco-friendly!

April 13, 2011 at 3:34 a.m.

siddle

All metal roofs from Absolute Steel are indeed eco-friendly. All of the metal roofing products distributed by Absolute Steel are 100% recyclable. _____________________________

Absolute Steel— Steel building and carport kits with nationwide jobsite delivery. Easy DIY—America’s easiest to install building system. Watch the video & see for yourself.

April 13, 2011 at 6:26 p.m.

glassemulsion

No other eco-friendly roofs? what about tpo,pvc,torch,hbu? do they not contend i just sat through a seminar about pvc and they were very intent on making people think they were as good as all other roof systems. i was not impressed, i'm trying to learn more about these pvc and tpo roofs. as a buisness owner you cannot say a roof system is bad without taking the time to learn the pros and cons any comments would be appreciated.

April 22, 2011 at 12:21 p.m.

HappyRoofer1

Hands down on a low slope roof there is nothing better than a properly installed ballast roof system. Keeps roof cool reflect sun light protects membrane ( EPDM) there are ballast roof that been on for 40 years and still doing good. and that is under old old specifications. Use a 60 mil EPDM with 6" seam tape, properly installed - you have a 75 year roof.

Ballast roofs are as green as it gets. Without the plants, grass and worry of roots.

here in wisconsin. Steel of all types are eco friendly. I think slate is great but not a good wisconsin roof where freeze thaw is quite prevalant.

PVC roofs are polluters and most likely one of the strongest membranes but harsh on environment during manufacturing and during life of roof.

April 25, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

glassemulsion

Sorry happy, I didn't catch the name in my email. I read some stuff on pvc I agree but isn't epdm a polluter during the manufacture process? What makes it Eco-friendly?

April 27, 2011 at 3:57 a.m.

dmckay

[url]http://www.ensorbuilding.com/section.php/43/1/firestone-epdm-rubbercover-flat-roofing [/url]

Firestone EPDM Rubber Roofing is very eco friendly, made from EPDM Material.

May 4, 2011 at 5:43 a.m.

Peter1

Natural Slate, Copper or Lead.

Natural slate comes out of the ground I have renewed roofs with slates that had already put in 200 years of service and good for at least another 50 years.

When they come to the end of their useful life they go back into the ground with no adverse effects to the environment.

Copper and Lead can give 50 years of life (often longer) when they reach the end of their service life they can be recycled and used again.

Cedar Shingles would also be eco friendly as they are a natural product, if they are taken from a sustainale managed forrest they can be classified as carbon neutral.

Sometimes we must look to the past to see the future :)

June 7, 2011 at 11:01 a.m.

Honest Roofer

If you look at the full lifespan of the product, I would say that it is an Aluminum Shingle or Panel of some kind.

The reasons are: 1) Very long life. 2) Reflective, so it reduces attic temps (lowers A/C costs). 3) It is 100% recyclable over & over & over without losing any of it's beneficial properties. 4) While it is not Eco-friendly to mine & produce, it requires almost no processing to recycle. Just melt & re-form over & over. 5) Clean to install with no toxic chemicals or sealants involved. This also means that rain water runoff can be used for most any purpose due to the lack of toxic chemicals.

Dan

June 7, 2011 at 11:09 a.m.

Honest Roofer

Peter1 Said: Natural Slate, Copper or Lead.

Although Lead is a natural and common metal, there is nothing "Eco-Friendly" about it. Lead is one of the most toxic and poisonous substances on the planet.

Lead has a lot of good uses, but the metal should not be used anywhere it might see human contact. That includes contact with runoff water. Which means that once your yard has seen water runoff from your roof, it will test positive for Lead Oxide, which is an easily absorbed Lead compound that is extremely poisonous to humans and most other living creatures on this planet. If you have handled this material very much in your work, you should get a simple blood test for heavy-metal poisoning. It is simple, fast & cheap. It can also save your life.

Dan

June 18, 2011 at 9:00 p.m.

dougger222

Eco-friendly?

The winner has to be the cedar shake tear off, replace with shakes job we did a month ago. Shakes were torn off and then the homeowner chipped them up into mulch. He did the same thing 35 years ago with the previous roof.

As far as green roof, asphalt shingles are recycled in my area...

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad - Navigating the Legal Side of Subcrews (RLW Registration)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

McCormack Succession and Exit Planning - Sidebar Register
Drexel Metals - Gutter Program
Xipre - Sidebar Ad - Transluscent Solutions
Metal Depots - Sidebar Ad
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders