MCS Influencer John Kenney says that contractors must evolve their sales processes to meet customer expectations.
Much like many other industries, roofing has witnessed significant transformation over the past few decades. The increased demand for residential metal installations and an evolving digital landscape are reshaping how roofing contractors approach the sales process. As customer behaviors and expectations shift, contractors must adapt. This article delves into the evolving sales process for residential metal installations and offers suggestions for contractors selling roofing, siding and gutters in the current market.
How the sales process of residential metal installations is changing
- Increased awareness and demand: Homeowners are becoming more environmentally conscious and looking for sustainable, durable and energy-efficient roofing solutions. Metal roofing, known for its longevity and energy-saving benefits, is gaining traction. This shift is prompting contractors to be more knowledgeable and offer a more comprehensive range of metal roofing options.
- Digital evolution: Traditional methods of attracting customers through word of mouth or physical advertisements are gradually being supplemented or even replaced by online platforms. Contractors increasingly leverage social media, search engine optimization and digital advertising to showcase their portfolios and attract leads.
- Virtual interactions: With the advent of augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR), homeowners can now visualize how different metal roofing styles will look on their homes before deciding. This means contractors must invest in such technologies to enhance the customer experience.
- Emphasis on education: Today's homeowner is research-driven. They seek information before making decisions. Successful contractors position themselves as thought leaders, offering webinars, blogs and educational content about metal roofing benefits, installation processes and maintenance tips.
How contractors should change their sales approach
- Embrace digital platforms: A robust online presence is no longer optional. Contractors should invest in a professional website, maintain active social media profiles and consider paid online advertising to boost visibility.
- Offer consultative selling: Contractors should consider a consultative approach instead of a straightforward sales pitch. By understanding a homeowner's needs, concerns and preferences, contractors can offer tailored solutions, building trust and enhancing the likelihood of a sale.
- Enhance training: As product offerings expand, especially in the realm of metal roofing, contractors need to ensure that their teams are well-trained and updated about the latest installation techniques, products and benefits.
- Diversify product range: Homeowners are looking for options. Contractors should collaborate with suppliers to provide various colors, finishes and styles in metal roofing. This meets customer demand and sets the contractor apart from competitors.
- Incorporate technology in presentations: Leveraging AR and VR tools can significantly boost sales. When homeowners can visualize the end result, they're more likely to commit.
- Prioritize sustainable practices: Highlighting environmentally-friendly practices, from using recycled materials to implementing energy-saving techniques, can appeal to the eco-conscious homeowner and set contractors apart from the competition.
- Bundle services: Offering bundled services, such as roofing, siding and gutters, can simplify the process for homeowners. This makes the purchase decision easier and can be positioned as a cost-saving opportunity for the client.
In conclusion, the sales landscape in the roofing industry, particularly around residential metal installations, is undergoing a sea of change. Contractors who are agile, forward-thinking and customer-centric in their approach will be best positioned to thrive in this evolving market.